Slip & Fall Accidents Resulting in Traumatic Brain Injuries
The most serious consequence of a slip and fall accident is when the victim suffers a traumatic brain injury. A serious condition like this can cause the person to experience a flood of symptoms immediately following the accident, that can last for a long period of time afterwards. In this article, we examine slip and falls accidents in addition to traumatic brain injuries. Most often, if a person endures a severe condition like this, legal action is taken against the party at fault.
Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury
If you observe yourself or a loved one having any of the below symptoms after slipping and falling, we recommend getting medical attention right away and then consulting with an attorney.
- Reduced mental capacity
- Frequent confusion
- Personality changes
- Severe bruising or lacerations around head
- Convulsions or passing out
If you decide to file a lawsuit for a traumatic brain injury, there will eventually be an investigation of what caused the slip and fall. Identifying what lead to your injury is a key element in the case. If you have your phone with you, take pictures of the scene and what caused you to fall, as these photographs can be used as proof later on. Conditions in the environment that can directly cause an accident include:
- Icey floors or water puddles from weather
- Oil or grease that minimized traction on the floor
- Loose, frayed corners or bent carpeting/mats
- Broken, curved up floorboards or uneven surfaces
- Poor lighting in walkway areas
- Debris and/or clutter in the pathway
Business Owner Liability
If you were injured in a store, then you can attempt to hold the owner responsible for your slip and fall. In order to have a solid case, the threat in environment must be viewed as foreseeable and that there was no way the injured person could have anticipated the threat. In order for the company to be liable, there must be a few conditions that apply to the incident.
- The business caused the condition to be dangerous.
- The business was aware of the dangerous condition but did not do anything to fix the problem.
- The business would have become aware of the dangerous condition had they used reasonable diligence.
Seeking Legal Assistance
Many victims of a slip and fall accident choose to consult with an attorney about their case. The medical bills associated with a traumatic brain injury can add up very quickly, and can cause substantial financial strain on the victim. Most law offices offer a free initial consultation for new clients, as a way to get to know their team. Always remember, your health comes first. There may have been factors in the environment that greatly contributed to your injuries. A Brain Injury Lawyer locals recommend can help you decide if taking action is the right decision for you, based on exactly what happened that day.